Gross Regional Domestic Product (GRDP) is the aggregate of gross value added (GVA) of all resident producer units in the region.
The GRDP includes regional estimates on the three major sectors including their sub-sectors namely:
- Agriculture, Fishery and Forestry
- Industry Sector
- Mining and Quarrying
- Electricity and Water
- Service Sector
- Transport, Communication and Storage
- Ownership of Dwellings and Real Estate
- Private Services
- Government Services
- Agriculture and Fishery - Bureau of Agricultural Statistics (BAS), Philippine Coconut Authority (PCA), Sugar Regulatory Administration (SRA), Philippine Tobacco Administration (PTA), Fiber Development Authority (FDA), National Meat Inspection Council (NMIC), National Irrigation Administration( NIA), Fertilizer and Pesticides Authority (FPA), National Statistics Office (NSO) and Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (BFAR)
- Forestry - Forest Management Bureau (FMB) and National Statistics Office (NSO)
- Mining and Quarrying - Mines and Geo-Sciences Bureau (MGB), Integrated Annual Report (IAR) of Mining Firms, National Statistics Office (NSO) and Chamber of Mines
- Manufacturing - National Statistics Office (NSO), Sugar Regulatory Administration (SRA), Philippine Cement Manufacturing Corporation (PHILCEMCOR), Philippine Associated and Smelting Refinery (PASAR), Office of Energy Affairs (OEA) and Energy Regulatory Board (ERB)
- Construction - Commission on Audit (COA), National Economic and Development Authority (NEDA), National Statistics Office (NSO)
- Electricity and Water - National Power Corporation (NPC), Manila Electric Company (MERALCO), National Electrification Administration (NEA), Metropolitan Waterworks and Sewerage System (MWSS), Local Water Utilities Administration (LWUA), National Water Regulatory Board (NWRB), Rural Electric Cooperative (REC) and National Statistics Office (NSO)
- Transport, Communication and Storage (TCS) - National Statistics Office (NSO), Land Transportation Office (LTO), Philippine National Railways (PNR), Light Rail Transit Authority (LRTA), Philippine Postal Office (PPO), Philippine Air Lines (PAL), Philippine Ports Authority (PPA) and Department of Transportation and Communication (DOTC)
- Trade - National Statistics Office (NSO)
- Finance - Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP), National Statistics Office (NSO) and Insurance Commission (IC)
- Ownership of Dwellings and Real Estate - National Statistics Office (NSO), National Land Titles and Deeds Registration Administration (NLTDRA)
- Private Services - National Statistics Office (NSO) and National Statistical Coordination Board (NSCB)
- Government Services - Commission on Audit (COA), Department of Budget and Management (DBM), Social Security System (SSS) and Government Service Insurance System (GSIS)
In using the GRDP, the following points should be considered:
- The following sectors (Manufacturing, TCS, Real Estate, Trade and Private Services) are based on the CE and ASE results from NSO, which becomes available every two (2) years after the reference year. During the years when the CE or ASE results are not yet available, other indicators and the QSE trend are used to produce regional GVA estimates. In the case of the TCS, subsequent adjustments are made based on the additional indicators from administrative data of LTO, PPA, PAL, ATO & PPC.
- The regional GVAs for each of the sub-sectors of agriculture, fishery and forestry are estimated indirectly using the gross value added ratio (GVAR) approach.
- For private construction, regional distribution is based on the structure of the Building Permits data. For public construction disaggregation by region is based on the regional breakdown of the infra program of NEDA and validated by the individual agencies' infra programs.
- For the sub-sector of electricity and water where available financial statements from NPC, MERALCO, REG, MWSS and LWUA can provide the required data inputs, the production approach is employed to estimate the regional GVAs.
- The regional distribution of resources from the BSP factbook and Insurance Commission are used to estimate the regional GVAs of the Finance sub-sectors.
- For ownership of dwellings, regional benchmark estimates are obtained using the results of the latest Census of Population and Housing (CPH) and Family Income and Expenditure Survey (FIES). Regional data on the total floor area of residential construction available from Building Permits data of NSO serve as indicator for estimating the regional distribution of the number of occupied dwelling units.
- The regional GVAs for the government services are estimated based on the data from the Commission on Audit (COA).
Initial compilation for GRDP was done in 1974, covering the period 1971-1974. Due to conceptual problems and inadequate data, the series was discontinued until in 1978, when estimation of GRDP was resumed and institutionalized. A new series emerged for 1978 up to the present.
There were different data series for GRDP because of the inclusion of Cordillera Administrative Region (CAR) in 1988; Autonomous Region of Muslim Mindanao (ARMM) in 1993 and lately CARAGA (only for 1995). The following GRDP series are available:
- 1978-1987 GRDP by Region or by Industrial Origin (Region 1-12 and NCR)
- 1988-1993 GRDP by Region or by Industrial Origin (14 Regions inclusive of CAR)
- 1993-1998 GRDP by Region or by Industrial Origin ( 15 Regions inclusive of ARMM)
- 1995 GRDP by region (Preliminary Estimates, 16 Regions inclusive of CARAGA)